Monday, May 16, 2011

This Weekend's Visitors

This weekend was a wet, soggy, cold weekend.  I did a little bit of backyard birdwatching from a window and was thrilled to see a Baltimore Oriole found the orange halves I had nailed to the tree...it took about two weeks (and a few oranges later) for someone to find them. 

While enjoying the numerous goldfinches, my daughter and I got a really good look at a female Ruby-throated hummingbird who was just sitting in the tree.  I was surprised how long she stood still, blowing in the breeze on that branch.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something blue fly past.  About five minutes later an Indigo Bunting flew to the Rose of Sharon in the backyard, perched for a few moments then headed into the tree, where he (I am guessing) stayed for a bit.  All we had were binoculars (and the window was filthy anyway) so I got no pictures of these visitors.  They made my day :)

I had seen an Oriole before, but not this clearly to be able to certainly identify it, and I had never seen an Indigo Bunting before so I consider both of these firsts :)  It is nice that both stuck around long enough to really study them so I could identify them.  I think that makes 29 birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment