Monday, May 9, 2011

White-Crowned Sparrow....I think????

Possible White Crowned Sparrow, backyard, May 8, 2011

I spotted 3-4 of these in the backyard yesterday.  Thankfully, I had my binoculars and my camera outside with me.  I got a good look at this bird and took a few pictures then grabbed my field guide.  The birds stuck around for most of the evening so I was able to really study him.  I originally thought it must be a White-throated Sparrow, but there is no yellow on him by his eyes.  His head stripes were definitely black and white....so much so they almost looked painted on.  I'm a bit nervous about saying this IS a White-Crowned Sparrow because they are not common in the this area, but may winter here (Windsor), and I am not an experience birder.  Can anyone recognize this bird?

Oh...to keep count...this makes bird number 24 for me!
This picture, highly cropped, was taken May 9, 2011.

1 comment:

  1. That's definitely a White-crowned sparrow. :)
    I saw one at PPNP yesterday (Oct. 25/11) that I was thrilled to see.
    There were several White-throated sparrows in the park.

    ReplyDelete