Thursday, May 10, 2012

McGeachy Pond

I dropped the girls off at the pool and headed to McGeachy Pond.  I love that place!  Today was perfect.....it was sunny, the lake was still (rare for Lake Erie in my experience) and I could hear more birds than I could possibly track and spot.  There were lots of Yellow Warblers, but they gave me a run for my money...apparently they are camera shy :)
Two fast-flying Yellow Warblers :)
 This Gray Catbird tried not to be photographed as well, but I really like this picture...I think it turned out really good.
Beautiful Gray Catbird
 There were a bunch of Terns flying around and I initially thought this was a Caspian Tern...orange bill, black feet...but the dark wings seem odd for a Caspian Tern...what are your thoughts?  I have photos of other terns from today (not on the blog) that don't have these dark wings...

A Tern of some variety....


 There were also a lot of butterlies...here are a couple varieties I managed to get clear pictures of.



Today was a great birding day for me!  Here is a list of species noted at McGeachy Pond:
Great Blue Heron, Canada Geese, Barn Swallows, Tree Swallows, Yellow Warblers, Gray Catbird, Red-Winged Blackbird, Brown Thrasher (life bird!!), Baltimore Oriole, Grackle, Robin, Gulls (not sure the variety), Terns (one or two species), a Sandpiper of some variety (or something that looks like that), Mute Swans, Killdeer.  I left the pond at the time I was supposed to be at the pool....but the girls didn't even notice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment