Saturday, October 13, 2012

Point Pelee...again :)

I headed to Point Pelee on the morning of October 1st.  It was a bright, beautiful fall day.  I don`t work Monday`s and I figured the housework could wait :) I had read Dwayne's blog over the weekend and he had found Virginia Rail and Sora at the Marsh Boardwalk, so I thought I would give it try...I haven't seen either of these birds before.  I didn't see them, but I did see the following birds, all of which are life birds!!
Eastern Phoebe

Swamp Sparrow

Rusty Blackbird
 The next three pictures are of the same species, but from different angles.  After a lot of time analysing these photos and thumbing through numerous field guides, I have identified this bird as a Nashville Warbler...please correct me if I am wrong...
Nashville Warbler or Common Yellow-throat?

Nashville Warbler or Common Yellow-throat?


Nashville Warbler or Common Yellow-throat?
Another pic showing yellow under tail.

The next life bird was the only one not found on the Marsh Boardwalk...it was found on the Woodland Nature trail...

Winter Wren
To say this was a great birding day for me is a total understatement!  I was all by myself and enjoyed the quiet time spent in God's creation.  I saw a bunch of other birds too....I will list them for you (and include pics when I was able to capture them):
Great Blue Heron
Red-winged Blackbird
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Double-crested Cormorant
Blue Jay
Brown Creeper
Turkey Vultures...there are 17 in this picture.  There were about 50 moving over in total!
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Red-tailed Hawk
Downy Woodpecker
Dark-eyed Junco (there were a bunch on the Woodland Nature Trail entrance...I was surprised to see them so early)
Killdeer

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-throated Sparrow
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Well, at least those are the ones I remember seeing...there may have been more.  I wrote down what I remembered as soon as I got home.  Such a great day and very happy I decided to skip the housework!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that was quite the morning Tiffanie! A great assortment of birds and nice pictures. You must have gotten very close to the Nashville Warbler to get such clear, close pictures. You're surging ahead of me on the life list! I feel a little handicapped given my location compared to yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome posting Tiffanie! It took me three years to see a Virginia Rail, so don't feel bad. You saw some awesome birds! A possible gentle correction if I may, the Nashville may be mistaken for a female Common Yellowthroat. I might be mistaken though, as they are quite similar! Great shots of Winter Wren and Golden crowned Kinglet! I have not yet been able to photograph a winter wren yet this season. Good birding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dwayne! As for the ID, can you walk me through your thinking? This is why I was thinking Nashville...the back of the bird is not uniform..gray back with greenish wings. Also, the yellow throat, white chest and yellow undertail. What am I missing? I will post another picture...

    ReplyDelete